This post is a bit off subject, in that it relates to my first book, but I am posting it because I need some advice – and soon!
From almost day one I had a working title for my first book that I thought I was happy with. The publisher has told me that they have reservations about it – namely that it is a bit old-fashioned. Unfortunately we haven’t come up with an alternative title that fits the tone and content of the story, and has mass market appeal.
The book is a 44,000 word humorous adventory story aimed at boys in the age group 9-11 years.
Here is the book blurb: “When Michael finds a strange object buried in his garden, he unwittingly uses it to implant a hostile alien life form into his grandmother’s body. Michael must convince his friend Elvis that there really is something wrong with Grandma and enlist his help to thwart an evil alien plan and rescue Grandma before time runs out for them all.”
My title for this story was, “How I Alienated my Granny.”
The other suggestions for this book have been:
- My Granny, the Alien
- Invasion of the Granny Snatchers
- Granny and the Space Invaders
- The Adventures of Mike and Elvis: Granny vs The Aliens
- My Grandma is an Alien (discounted because it has already been used)
- Aliens Stole my Granny
The things that I think my title needs to have are:
- Boy appeal – which translates roughly to using an action or boy interest word in there.
- Reflect the humour and adventure in the story
Please tell me which title you prefer or suggest your own in the poll below. And thanks for your help!